Marinaretti story

Royal School for non-Commissioned Navy
Mechanical Officers
(Castello 2737)Autmun 1943

The former Celestia Monastery, adjacent to major shipyards of the Arsenale, traditionally housed the Royal School for non-commissioned Mechanical Officers, managed by officers and staff of the Navy. Many teenagers from all over Italy attended the school. The first German occupants in Venice, in the Autumn 1943, considered the ‘sailor’ students as soldiers because of their uniform, and decided to deport them as IMI (Italian Military Internees). But during the walk from the Arsenale to the station, many Venetians reacted, urging the boys to escape. Arrived at Holy Apostles Church, some indicated safty ‘Calli’ where to slip out of lane. At the Ponte delle Guglie, women in the market began to scream to escape, many children ran to the Ghetto or along the foundation of Cannaregio, taking off their uniform and throwing it into the canal. Eleven entered an open gate and were saved, hidden by the inhabitants of the house.

Provided material

Workshop results


Esben Clausen Nørgaard

Francisco Javier Rodríguez Perez

Sara Borges

Birgitte M. Fjørtoft